This is the one of the oldest streets in Newry.
In 1746 Isaac Corry built houses and stores close to the Canal. Lower Canal Street still retains its 18th century dimensions and much of its fine traditional architecture.
Nos. 10 and 12 Canal Street was originally the RIC barracks.
This is where Eamonn de Valera was taken, when arrested attending a meeting in Newry, in 1924.
On the corner of New Street and Canal Quay is one of Newry’s most imposing buildings. Clanrye Mill was built on the site if the older mill, which was destroyed by fire in 1872.
Designed by William Watson, it has been described as an essay in brickwork. It’s style is Venetian and complements the Riverside Presbyterian Church.
Built in 1873, at a cost of £10,000, its entire machinery was supplied by the Newry Foundry Company.
The Corry Monument
This pedimented die and obelisk mounted on six granite steps was erected in 1877, in memory of Trevor Corry, a magistrate in the town for 35 years.
The form of the monument reflects the new interest in Ancient Egypt so fashionable in the mid 19th century. The Corry family has considerable influence in Newry over several generations, Isaac Corry (1755-1815), for example, was elected to the Irish Parliament for Newry in 1776 and held the seat for 30 years.
The family seat was at Derrymore (2 miles west of Newry) now owned by the National Trust.
Heather Park, on the edge of the town centre offers one of the best vantage points in Newry, giving the panoramic view of the town.
The United Irishmen were executed here after their defeat in 1798 Rebellion.
It is claimed that the tunnel entrance led to the Bank of Ireland, which was built on the site of an old gaol.
High Street is one of the oldest parts of Newry.
The poor Clare Order here in 1830.
To the rear of the convent is the site of the Unitarian graveyard and burial plot of John Mitchel, a 19th century Irish patriot who was later deported to Australia.
There is a good view to the rear of the Cathedral and Hill Street from this point. Much of the property from the Abbey Way to Trevor Hill was demolished to build the dual carriageway.
The Corn Market retains stump of Robert Dempsters flax and spinning mill, one of three which flourished following the expansion of the linen industry.
Built in 1867, the mill employed 500 people up until the middle of this century.
These mills relied on the railways and ship canal for exports.
The Master’s House
The site of the Abbey extended from the bakery southwards to Abbey Yard.
Included in this complex is Corry’s house (circa 1815), no the Masters House. The renovation of this property by Clanrye Abbey Developments merited an award from the Royal Institute of British Architects in 1987
Merchants Quay has some surviving 18th and 19th Century warehouses, which developed along this section of the canal, which closed in 1956.
The bridge was built by private subscription in 1831.
The adjoining Godfrey Bridge was formerly a swing bridge but this was removed when the road was widened in recent years.
This and similar reconstructions prohibit the re-opening of the canal through the town.
Newry Court House
Newry Court House, built in 1843, was designed by Newry architect Thomas Duff, a man who has been described as ‘the most important figure in the early development of the architectural profession in Ulster’.
This building of stucco and granite construction, topped with a handsome domed copula is generally recognised as his finest classical work and noted by one architectural historian as a building of ‘compact elegance’.
The building was refurbished in 1994.